Thursday, January 5, 2012

30 Days Meme: Days 3 & 4

Oops, I missed a post. I bought a Kindle Fire and I was preoccupied with rooting it and playing with it last night and my blog (and SWTOR!) was sadly neglected. You'll get a full Kindle Fire post later this week but for now, it's back to the meme.


30 Days of Video Games, Day 3:
My Favorite Series


This is a tough one, because there are a lot of video game series that I have loved over the years. Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate, Warcraft (the RTSes as well as the MMO), Civilization, Mass Effect, Fallout... but I think for the sheer number of games in a single series that I have loved, credit has to go to Ultima. While I did not love Ultima VIII, and Ultima Online was a disappointment (I did not play Ultima IX, I just couldn't bring myself to do it), I deeply loved IV, VI and VII especially (ignoring Serpent Isle) and enjoyed the rest quite a bit (yes, even Ultima Underworld). I think I played the third one on the NES first; I later played through the entire series when the Ultima Collection was released. I was quite sad when I upgraded my computer and couldn't play through the collection any more - it wasn't compatible with the DOS emulator on WinXP.




30 Days of Video Games, Day 4:
Favorite Game of Your Favorite Series


Ultima VII was by far my favorite Ultima game. It was big and expansive, with player choices and consequences, crafting, rich story, etc. I probably played it all the way through 3 or 4 times.

1 comment: